February 21, 2006

Intimacy Simplified


"Love doesn't always necessitate intimacy, and those we are the most intimate with are not always our partners. What does intimacy mean to you, and who do you find you are the most intimate with?"


Such a question is cause for pause and thoughtful rumination. Or is it? Perhaps it is as simple as the first thing that popped into my head upon reading it: if you've seen me cry, we're intimate.

Or perhaps it is even simpler, such as the second thing that popped into my head: if you and I are comfortable passing gas around each other, we're intimate.

Ayup. That's it. Farting and crying. It takes both. Preferably not at the same time. By that measure, I can count on one hand the people with whom I'm intimate.

They know who they are.
I'm damned fortunate they share my world.

.

7 comments:

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Hmm, you're right! If that is the case, then I am intimate with one person only. Nobody else counts!

Sky said...

Love this post! Great question. I think I would add to your criteria that those who know the areas of my life I feel the most reserved about sharing: the fears I hide, old humiliations, things I am most ashamed about - these are the ones with whom I wear no mask. I have a very few - my husband, and a couple of dear friends. A few come in and out of this atmosphere on different levels, but the few who know it all are the ones I could not live without!

SassyFemme said...

OMG, too funny, and oh so true!

A said...

Really good question, good ruminating material, indeed. I guess I could agree with what you said, but only when I really cry (not counting my public outbursts of teary frustration). Intimacy for me means I can be real with someone else, I mean really, really me. Usually the walls and daily facades only fall away for a girlfriend, but I have friends with whom I feel very safe and comfortable, too.

Mrs Ling said...

Just drifted in and thought I'd say hi, simply because I really like your blog.
Have a great day...

Eyes for Lies said...

okay, that's toooooo funny. I can't stop laughing.

But, it is TRUE!!!! Very true.

We can all quickly identify those with whom we are intimate based on these qualifications.

LOLOLOLOLLLOOOL

Gina said...

Well, in that case, probably only a very few people would consider themselves intimates of mine. ;)