October 24, 2006

Like a Tree

It's that time of year again, time for the fall musical at The Boy's college. This year it's Rodgers and Hammerstein's Carousel, classic music theatre fare.

Until The Boy went off to college, we never missed an opening night, most often seeing every performance in a run. We're weird that way. Parents can get away with a certain amount of stalkerish behavior.

We haven't attended even one opening night since college began. Timing, distance. You know the drill. But I'll be there Thursday for this one. I only wish my girl could be there with me. Due to the very unfortunate timing of an accreditation review at Wendy's office, she is chained to her desk and unable to join me until the weekend.

Thinking on it, I'm pretty sure it'll be a first. A first for me being at one of his shows without her in the seat next to me. It's going to be odd. I feel selfish leaving her at home. Sure, she'll be joining me Saturday, but meanwhile I'll sit in the theatre with a stranger in the seat next to me, wishing it was Wendy instead.

The title of the post is from a song The Boy will perform, "Soliloquy". His character, Billy Bigelow, has just found out he is to be a father and is contemplating what he envisions for his child: "Like a tree he'll grow / with his head held high / and his feet planted firm on the ground... "

Just like our boy.
And almost as sappy as me.

After singing such a sweet emotional song of future hope and determination, Billy, in despair after botching a robbery attempt, plants a knife in his own belly.

Trees rarely behave that way.
Billy is obviously more like a weed.

.

16 comments:

Trop said...

That warmed my heart.

weese said...

perhaps you can ask the person sitting next to you if they wouldn't mind too much if you held their hand and whispered your boys praises to them.

Teresa said...

It's only stalkerish behavior if The Boy objects, and I doubt that's the case. Will you be my mom?

WenWhit said...

Have I mentioned how much the timing of this weekend SUCKS?

Know I'll be with you.
*smooch*

Middle Girl said...

You know the drill (leg..and such)
M's show opens this weekend as well-quite different fare-I might not be able to see it until next weekend-which is just...

Well, this is about you (2) and the boy-- Bravos to him and the both of you.

Gobody said...

Even weeds don’t commit suicide.

I wouldn’t know if I want my child to grow like a tree, I don’t know how would a tree feel like. I have never been like one, but rather like a nomad, no roots, no attachments, no affiliations, almost always migrating from one place to another. I guess it must feel nice to rest somewhere .. sometimes. I like the song though.

tiff said...

Awwwww.....

You have every right to be sappy. Every parent does.

I could come keep you company if you want me to!

chapin said...

Have fun and safe travels.

Anonymous said...

You'd never sit alone if you'd informed your dad of the show; he'd be right there with you.

KMae said...

ENJOY THE SHOW!!!

Anonymous said...

you know, I read this yesterday and then went about my business of painting these boring white walls. But it kept creeping back to me about how incredibly sweet it seems to me that you refer to wendy (right? that is her name??) as "your girl". It just made me smile everytime it popped into my mind. So I had to come back this morning and tell you so.

Good luck to the boy and I hope you and "your girl" are reunited as soon as possible!

Gina said...

I'm sorry that y'all can't go together.

And, how have you been, Ms. Suburban Lesbian?

By the way, my dad's b-day cake kinda sucked. Shouldn't have been a surprise.

Suzanne said...

Anon, you sure you want to crack open that particular can of worms... here? It's an inappropriate venue, imoho.

Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he has such dedicated parents, he must love you for it. College is a weird time...it will get easier and you'll see each other more once you all get the hang of things being and feeling a little different. Carousel is a great musical though! And I totally get the empty seat beside you..but just think about all the two of you will have to talk about later when you fill her in on what she missed! Definitely some positive bonding time there.

agoodlistener said...

Hope everything went well. Our youngest son was the actor in the family, so I know what you mean about seeing the shows. I bet The Boy made you awfully proud!

cbar said...

So? How was it?