June 24, 2005

Snot Rag, Please

We don't usually keep Kleenex around the house. (Please note the capital "K" in Kleenex. It is, after all, a trademark used for a soft facial tissue. But I usually use Kleenex to blow my nose and am therefore a bit mystified as to why they are formally referred to as "facial tissue." Snot rag would be more true to life.)

So the secret that is not really a secret is now even less of a secret: we don't usually keep soft facial tissues around our house. I know, I know. Admitting it helps me feel less heathen.

According to our mothers, Kleenex is a staple that should be kept on hand at all times. Perhaps at some point in our lives once Wendy and I have reached that certain age, we, too, will feel the need to keep Kleenex on hand at all times. Until then, however, I only buy it when one of us has a cold or when one of our mothers will be visiting. We prefer Puffs Plus brand over Kleenex brand (mmmm.... lotiony).

When Wendy's mom was here a week or so ago, we picked up a box of Kleenex for her. She prefers Kleenex brand. She didn't use them all. Yesterday morning I was glad to have them because I woke up blowing snot everywhere. (Doesn't that inspire a wonderful visual image? Please. Take a moment and let your imagination wander.)

I have a freaking summer cold. I don't recall ever having had a summer cold before. I'm usually so healthy it's ridiculous (k-o-w). It began the day of the picnic with a irritating sore throat. A sore throat! Even when I smoked cigarettes, my throat didn't get sore. Bah.

As my runny sneezy stuffed up nose and I left for work that morning, I snagged that box of Kleenex to take to the office. All day long I was glad I had it.

But now. Oh now I'm sad. When I left the office I neglected to bring that box of Kleenex home.

I should have left my runny nose at work too.

.

6 comments:

Gina said...

Perhaps you can take some solace in the fact that you are not alone in your misery. My husband and son are both sick as well.

As for Kleenex, we have a box on hand at all times. We get the enormous sets of 12 boxes at Costco. Depending on the time of year, the set can last anywhere from 6 months to 2.

Career Guy said...

Remember that commercial for some cold remedy that ran--"A summer cold is a different animal..."? Well, that's OK. You're probably too young. I guess the point was that a cold in the summer is harder to get rid of. You want to run and play with the other kids and that's not conducive to recovering from the malady. BTW, I like Puffs Plus too, especially when I have a cold. Just don't clean your glasses with them, though. Mmmm-lotiony!

Princess Wild Cow said...

Toilet Paper...unless it's the outlet single ply, then paper towels will beat that...I never have Band Aids...paper towels work for that, too...at least until it quits bleeding, not too great on sticking. Feel better!

Dora said...

Sorry you're feeling yucky. Hope you won't have to buy more tissue supply before you get well.
I never thought about the tissue thing until your post but we have 7 boxes of tissue strategically placed among the rooms of our home. I wouldn't want to be without them. I have this anal aversion to blowing my nose with toilet paper unless its an emergency. LOL

weese said...

Tissues are a must. They are civilized.
Puffs are the best - a must have for a cold. However, when we are healthy, my purchase is based on box aesthetics.

whispers said...

Kleenex are the "only" tissue for me....and I have a box within reach in almost every spot I regularly settle. (allergies and an unexplained chronic rhinitis are to blame for the need).

A large glass of OJ and some R&R in the sun might help the grumpies of the summer cold...but the symptoms will just have to run their horrible little course.

Hope you feel better soon....