August 21, 2006

I'd Forgotten

The first night The Boy was home for his summer vacation, I cooked up a big welcome home dinner. I prepared what I thought was enough for an army. There were no leftovers.

An hour later he announced, "I'm about ready for my after-dinner pizza."

He was serious.

And so it has been during his visit. He's the white male equivalent of the proverbial bottomless pit.

When he first left for college, I struggled to adjust to cooking for two. My grocery shopping and meal preparation routines have since evolved, what and how much I prepare modified to suit the new family circumstance. I've found it challenging to revert to my old ways, even temporarily.

After feeding him for the past few weeks, I now wonder how he ever finds the time to nourish himself adequately while away at school. I no longer wonder why his grocery bill is so high.

.

6 comments:

WenWhit said...

On the positive side, there aren't really any leftovers languishing in our refridgerator destined only for the trash can.

Middle Girl said...

Ah yes, after dinner pizza. Very well acquainted with the concept.

What tweaks even more than the budget busting inhalation of all edibles great and small-the fella never gains an ounce. :)

weese said...

I am so glad we upped Ferris' meal plan to the 'gold' level.
I can't wait to see our september grocery bill... we may have to go shoe shopping with all the savings!

Deb said...

And I thought I was bad with the consumption of every single thing in my fridge! My girlfriend has to worry about me---the bottomless bit...although...my bottom has increased in size lately.

Great post!

outsidemymind said...

Raise your glass to eating plans and lower grocery bills!!! I understand your pain and anticipate the return of my eating machines to their academic centers!! School days school days oh those golden rule days.....

Teresa said...

Whew! Thank goodness his high grocery bills aren't an indication of a stealth crystal meth habit.