January 7, 2005

When It's Over

Just because it was over didn't necessarily mean it was over for me too.

Most every woman has experienced something in their life to which that sentence could apply. In my case, this time, it was when The Boy broke up with his First Serious Girlfriend.

He had girlfriends while growing up. Not many, but a few. Those other girls, those before the First Serious Girlfriend, were like, well, like warm up. Training wheels. Starter chicks maybe. Yeah that works. Starter chicks. Too crass? Oh well.

I knew those Starter Chicks, of course. Blips on the radar screen of his life. I enjoyed them while they were around but I did not necessarily miss them when they were gone.

Only one were we truly glad to see go. The one he dated the end of his junior year in high school. She was trouble, oh yes indeed. All sweet smiles and parent pleasing politeness on the outside, but we could see right through that---right through to her troublemaking lead-a-good-boy-astray heart. Evil, evil I say! Well okay, fine. I'm being a bit melodramatic. But a parent can tell. And that girl was trouble. Wendy and I breathed a sigh of relief when that one was over.

When he started dating the one who would be the First Serious Girlfriend, I had a sense from the very beginning that she was different from the others. And she was. Different I mean. She had a sparkle about her, a twinkle in her eye. The way The Boy looked at her was different. She put an extra twinkle in his eye too.

As parents, Wendy and I were along for the ride. We embraced the First Serious Girlfriend as part of our family and I let her into my own heart. I was happy for them. I was happy for The Boy. I was happy he had learned somehow somewhere along the way to open his heart. I was happy he was foolish brave enough. I was happy she was foolish brave enough also. They were good together, she and he.

But I'm not writing about how sweet their relationship was. Not really. Although I doubt I would have ever felt attached to her if their relationship had not been sweet. Don't misunderstand me, I had no delusions of happily ever after or marriage or growing old together. They were teenagers, just beginning the adventure of life.

Romance. It was all about being young and first love and exploring the possibilities of one's heart. Sharing. The kind of sharing that adds a prismatic dimension to life. A twelfth-of-never dimension. It's the dimension where hearts soar, mindless and uncaring of dangers lying ahead. No fear, just euphoria and lightness. Remember young love? I hope you do.

I was shocked at how bereft I felt when, after a year and a half of involvement, the relationship ended. It didn't matter how much it surprised me (a bit but not really) or how sudden I may have felt it was (there were some advance clues) or how I wasn't prepared (hadn't realized I needed to prepare) or how I may have wished for something different (not sure I did or do). It wasn't my decision to make. It wasn't about me at all.

We were just along for the ride, remember?

So the delightful young lady Wendy and I both enjoyed knowing was suddenly relegated to a removed status. I'm still not sure what to do with that. I wonder sometimes if she misses us, too. I wonder why it matters to me. Not in an obsessive way, more in a contemplative life oddity kind of way. Can't help it that it does, however.

I'd like to not go through this process every time The Boy breaks up with someone. It is suddenly important for me to have a plan. Over the holidays, his new girlfriend came to visit. A lovely young lady, but how much of her do I let in?

I can't be the only one with this dilemma.
Or am I?

10 comments:

Eyes for Lies said...

Hmmm...that's an interesting perspective.

I've only been the starter chick LOL well up until the hubby came. I was always disliked by the moms, and I knew it. I have no idea why either. I was truly an innocent kid. I didn't smoke, drink, do drugs, nothing - nada. I just tended to fall deeply for the guys I dated.

Unknown said...

I'm not sure that you have to (or rather, should) limit yourself to how much you let someone in in that situation. When my girlfriend and I split up, the most puzzling thing happened: I remained close with her mother. Somehow, over the course of the relationship, her mother and I became close friends. When I travel to her part of the country, I am forbidden to stay in hotels as she wants to keep me. We've planned trips together. She remembers me at the holidays and she's never gotten out of the habit of calling me Daughter (nor have I gotten out of the habit of calling her Mom, much to my ex's chagrin.) My ex's mother is one of my best friends. I wouldn't have that if she hadn't decided to let me in (my ex had the tendency to change girlfriends like most folks change socks so getting attached is usually never an option.)

I say that if you feel a genuine something for this new girl, let her in. You never know when you'll find yourself an incredible new friend.

Princess Wild Cow said...

Unfortunately, the first girlfriend had the same impact on you as she did your son. You'll never forget her. You'll like the new ones, as they come and go, and yet, you'll never forget the first one. My daughter's first boyfriend still comes up and hugs me every time I see him. And, she has had dinner with his family a number of times. It doesn't have to be bad. It really is a beginning and not an ending.

Puglet said...

I still deeply miss my high school boyfriends family..and that was 8 years ago that we broke up. I often wonder if they missed me.

Gina said...

As the mother of a young son, I have already thought about this scenario! I already know I will probably have trouble with the "girlfriend" thing. I am sure that it must be hard to know exactly how much of yourself and your family to offer to make them feel welcome, yet without putting out too much in case of a breakup. Why did no one warn us about these things?!

elswhere said...

Awww...

FSG, I hope our kid's First Serious Boyfriend or Girlfriend is as nice as you.

Jennifer said...

I say you let all of her in and deal with it as it comes. Who knows? Even if she only stays for a minute, that visit could somehow have life expanding consequences. If we shut people out because we fear the impending loss of them, we lose out on all of it.

Of course, this comes from one who has great difficulty initially cracking the door open on my best day. But I'm learning.

I think. :-)

Udge said...

Suzanne, FSG's comment surely answers your question. Trust your heart.

Suzanne said...

Thank you for your input and views, everyone. There are some interesting perspectives and certainly food for thought.

And FSG, thanks for "coming out" as it were. What a trip. We'll talk.

Blogs are evidently good for more than spewing feelings and sharing thoughts. Are they the communications tool of the future?

Suzanne

Gel said...

I was reading your post on the main page and clicked back here for background. Your writing and subject matter grabbed me hook, line, and sink her. All during reading this, I was thinking about my own oldest daughter who just turned 18 and has been in her 1st long term serious relationship for a yr.

I'm not as close with her boyfriend as I am with her best friend, who is a different boy. You wrote with such feeling. The experiences here are different yet also similar. Certain friends of your kids, whether platonic or romantic, become like family.

I was stunned and so heart-warmed by The Boy's former girfriend coming on here. I didn' realize your blog was public to them, so that was a shocker, but her words certainly must have answered many questions for you.