February 8, 2005

Worst. Movie. Ever.

If not the worse, damn close.

I gave Wendy several DVDs for Christmas, one of which was It's In the Water. Sigh. My intentions were good. It sounded okay, maybe even better than okay, according to the reviews posted on amazon dot. Stupid amazon.com reviewers. Okay, I admit. One of them warned me off. But the rest of them? I truly wonder if they watched the movie at all.

So the fire is crackling, we have all assumed our usual movie-watching places in the living room: Cosine and Figero curled up on the doggie bed and the rest of us on the couch. From left to right, Wendy me Dudley. The DVD is in the drive and the required remote within reach.

Lights! Camera! Action!

Ten minutes into the movie Wendy looks at me and says "I feel like I'm back watching high school theatre again."

I laughed because I knew exactly what she meant. And she had a point.

Now don't get me wrong, we have a deep appreciation for high school theatre. It has much to offer many. But it's not always good theatre. A typical high school cast may have one or two actors who have real talent, a few more who do a good job, but the majority are The Others. The Others are the ones who really shouldn't be there on stage at all because they suck so bad you cringe every time they move or speak or---if you are really unlucky---they sing. However at times their sheer enthusiasm alone is enough to make the show entertaining.

And bless them for trying. I hope they always do. Challenge themselves, that is. They are far more brave than me. They deserve---and get---my sincerest applause.

But this movie didn't even have a few actors with talent. Not even one. Well maybe one. A woman who had a quick scene playing a video rental clerk. The rest, no. It was all so contrived and stilted and cliche (and not in a funny way). It was just plain bad. It was an entire cast of The Others making a movie written and directed by even more Others.

Life's too short to watch Other movies.
Or is it the bad that helps us appreciate the good?

4 comments:

chapin said...

Thanks for the heads up on the movie. I've thought about buying that movie several times but just never got around to it. I'm glad I saved my money. Any other movies that you would suggest instead?

weese said...

Not another cheesy lesbian movie.
Like there aren't enough of them. Which I will watch anyway...just because there are lesbians in them. I made my poor wife sit through a really really bad LifeTime lesbian movie - I don't think she has recovered yet. We can only hope that The LWord kicks it up a notch this year.

Sandra Scoppettone said...

Maybe you should look movies up at IMDb http://us.imdb.com/search instead of Amazon. They're not selling anything. The movie you bought was "Disappointing" according to reviewers. At least check at this place as well as Amazon.

I can't think of a single lesbian movie that has been any good. I'm not sure why this is so. But then, I don't like The L Word either. So pay no attention to me.

elswhere said...

Sandra-- not even High Art? Or When Night is Falling? I thought those were both pretty good.

The L Word is way cheesy, for sure. I'd always wondered about It's In the Water and am happy to be able to cross it off my list.