January 12, 2006

Sunrise, Sunset

One morning on our New Year's beach trip, we dragged ourselves out of bed to watch the sun rise over the Atlantic Ocean. Why? Well why not? I will confess the idea did not appeal to me at first. It's no secret I'm not a morning person. Yet when I peeked out the window early that morning and saw the amazing colors washing over the horizon, I was suddenly inspired. I poked Wendy and said, "Come on! Come on! Hurry up! Hurry up! It's time! We don't want to miss it!"

We all gathered on the dune deck bundled in our coats, sleepy time pants and slippers to drink a mimosa toast to the arrival of the new day. Oh yes, the party started quite early that day.




The Outer Banks of North Carolina is a somewhat narrow strip of land between the Currituck Sound and the Atlantic Ocean. The way I understand it, it's more sandbar than actual land. Along some parts a bit further north, the sound and the ocean almost touch. Where we were staying this time, the sound was not visible.

Later that evening, I captured the sun setting. It's right over the sound even though water is not apparent in this picture. You'll have to take my word for it. You can trust me. It's over there.



These photos are for Mel. She's had over 20 straight days of rain out in her part of the world. Since these photos are less than two weeks old, I thought a reminder that the sun actually does still exist would be uplifting for her. And perhaps you, too?

Cheers!

.

7 comments:

the determined dieter said...

I just saw some lightning out my window, here in dreary, rain-soaked NYC. Thanks for the reminder.

Deb Heller said...

Beautiful photos. Take a bow!

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures. I live on a little pennisula off the coast of Florida, I get to see the sun rise over the water on my way to work every morning and set every night out my balcony window. It's truly a breath-taking sight.

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Fantastic shots! So how many hours after the sun rose did you see little black spots in your vision from staring at the sun too long?

Melodee said...

Awww, thanks. That very same day, that very same sun set over the Pacific Ocean . . . only we couldn't see it because it was cloudy. Big surprise. Day 26, over. Day 27 of rain begins.

Career Guy said...

The Outer Banks? I know where that is! We used to go camping there at Assateague. My parents used to go down to the park office on New Year's Day to reserve their spot for the coming summer. We would see the horses in the water, the jellyfish in the surf, and go crabbing in the inlets. Very fun. BTW, you can read my cruise report now--it's posted.

Taradharma said...

beautiful pictures...the sunrise especially. I like to wake up very early on occasion and take sunrise photos. Then it's so deeeelicious to go back to bed. A little mimosa wouldn't hurt, either.