January 26, 2006

Working for the Weekend

We're off to my mother's for another long weekend. Someday I may blog about what fills our time down there, outside of the obvious keeping my mom company. There is work to do. Plenty.

This evening just as I was arriving home, an old friend pulled in the driveway. She had been the Costume Lady at the high school theatre. Her daughter graduated with The Boy. I had not seen her since the kids left for college. Two and a half years ago. But news of her came to me through the gossip chain. Like I'd heard her son, two years behind her daughter, had attempted suicide. Then I heard she'd survived a bout with breast cancer. Did I ever call? Hell no. I was too absorbed in my own pathetic empty nest haze. Some friend I am, huh?

She came in, we chatted. Or rather she talked, I interjected occasionally. It was nice. Wendy arrived home and joined us. My eyes gravitated to the scar on the top of our guest's right breast. Her scoop neck blouse did not quite cover it. She joked that her new boob had recently been installed.

Wendy and I received some news tonight. Not from our visitor, but from The Boy. I'm still absorbing it. I had no idea such simple news would inspire such emotion. Completely caught off guard, I am. In a damn fine way.

.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog in one of those random ways and I've been reading it for a few months now, and I really like it. It's like a little comfort to me... I don't really know why. Maybe because you always have something to say, each time with a different emotion. It takes my mind off my own life, pathetic as it is. But thanks for... I guess for being there. Kinda wierd, I know, sorry. Anyway, the reason I'm finally posting a comment is because even if we don't get to know what news from The Boy stirred such an emotion in you, I'm glad it was in a good way.

weese said...

so...whats the news?

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Ack, a cliffhanger! Do we have to wait until next season to find out the actual news?

Gina said...

That is just sooooo not cool.

Tease.

Career Guy said...

So give, already!

Anonymous said...

I usually never resort to name calling unless it is absolutely necessary. I deem this a necessary time...

Bitch, what's up?

Val said...

now that was just rude and mean... sigh.

Unity said...

I too have been reading your blog. We all eagerly await the news. I have been quiet for quite a while, and I just have a comment to make.

Being gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, heterosexual, . . . are all choices. Choices that we are all entitled to. Society forgets that having sex often comes from a deep respect or a lust from an individual, regardless of their sex.

http://neounity.blogspot.com/

SassyFemme said...

Still waiting to hear the news! Come on, tell already! :)

kiles1670 said...

Your blog is like the final episode of the season.... tell us more