January 13, 2005

A Hazy Shade

My winter yoga class began last night, so I know it truly is winter despite the temperature outdoors. Today? A high of 60°F is expected. That's messed up. By Sunday, however, forecasters expect a low of 20°F. That's more like it. Nothing like a 40° temperature swing in four days. Hey, whatever it takes to kickstart winter out here. Because until we enjoy winter, there's no joy in spring.

I don't mean to be greedy. But Houston had snow around Christmas. Washington State had a recent taste of snow too. Southern Connecticut has been snow blessed. I won't even get into how much snow has fallen in California or in areas south of Virginia where snow usually doesn't fall at all. Is it greedy for me to want just one good snowfall? We are supposed to get snow here. It belongs here.

My shovel stands gathering cobwebs in the shed. My shovel is sad. Lonely. Questioning its self-worth. Please. For the shovel. Let it snow.

DC is gearing up for the coronation inauguration festivities next week. A large part of me hopes for a massive winter storm, say next Wednesday night. Or even Tuesday. Yeah, that would be just perfect.

Snow? Please.
You're late.


2 comments:

Eyes for Lies said...

We've had wild weather too. Very wild. 50s yesterday and we are expecting sub-zero tonight for three days. It's snowing here right now after thunderstorms and dense fog yesterday!

I hope you get a blizzard next week :)

Melodee said...

I've been meaning to write a letter: "Dear California, Send us back our rain. Thanks, Mel" so I know how you feel!