January 12, 2005

An Unexpected Farewell

Today out of the proverbial blue, one of my favorite radio stations, 99.1 WHFS, has undergone a radical change. No longer will they play alternative rock. No longer will I be entertained by the Sports Junkies on my way to work in the morning. No longer will they sponsor the popular springtime multi-band multi-day rock concert, the HFStival. That's right kiddies, kiss your HFStival goodbye.

The station will be known from this day forward as El Zol 99.1, ¡Siempre de Fiesta! ¡Arriba! ¡Ole!

Justo ahora tíreme.
¿Por favor?


5 comments:

Katie said...

Wow-- 2nd blog today that I've read commenting on this change. And even the Post covered the format difference? (Here's the other blog noting El Zol's conception: http://arbitrarymarks.blogspot.com/)

Princess Wild Cow said...

I am sorry you lost your radio station. I am sorrier for me who lives in a place where the sound of rolling r's is never heard and real refried beans are never eaten. Oh, woe is us!

Gina said...

Oooh, this happened to me a couple of years ago. I definitely feel your pain. Like your station, it was alternative rock (are they all doomed to fail?). But, they didn't announce anything about the impending change. One day, they just played "Feliz Navidad" for 24 hours straight and then changed over to a Spanish station. I never was a real fan of the song, but now I really don't like it.

Udge said...

Radio stations changing gender is one of the signs of the Apocalypse, isn't it?

elswhere said...

I just heard a piece about this very station on NPR. Check it out; here's the link to the story.