October 9, 2004

Weekend Drudgery?

Wendy and I ran errands today. Evidently, so did 95% of other folks living in our vicinity because there were crowds EVERYWHERE. Particularly in shoe stores. And food courts. Shoe shopping is hungry work after all. We were unsuccessful in our primary shoe objective however. Disappointing.

The battery in my watch had been dead for over a year. The battery in Wendy's watch died about two weeks ago. Today we had fresh ones put in both of them. Now I have to adjust to wearing a watch again. It feels heavy on my wrist. Considering how obsessive I am about punctuality, it is rather surprising it took a year and a dead battery in Wendy's watch to get mine replaced.

So who's who? Which wrist is mine and which watch is Wendy's?

We discreetly held hands while walking the mall today. I adore holding hands with my girlfriend. It's the little things, you know.

We wrapped up our shopping with a visit to the used book store. Just so happened it was the same used book store The Boy and I frequented during his youth. Re-arranged a little, but it's basically the same. They have an area with kids books set up with little chairs and other child-sized bookstore accoutrements. The Boy used to love picking out "Choose Your Own Adventure" books, among others.

The Boy would read for hours. I can still picture him stretched out on the couch wrapped in a comforter with a dog on his legs, reading a book. Those snapshots in my head with him in that position start when he was quite young and continue right up until the present. When he comes home on breaks, he assumes that position quite naturally.

Ayup, a bit of missingness today.

Wendy and I picked out quite a few books in preparation for our upcoming trip next week. More on those later, if they end up being worth mentioning. Right now I'm going to curl up in bed with one of those books. And my girlfriend. I'm a lucky one indeed.

No comments: