November 2, 2004

Hell Freezing Over?

It's 32 degrees and snowing.
In Amarillo, Texas.
Yet another reason this is an historic day.

Wendy and I just returned from the polls. We waited an hour in a serpentine line to cast our votes. Folks with last names beginning with A-K kept getting pulled out of line and taken to the front. Evidently the people checking their names were more efficient than the folks checking those of us who are L-Z.

There was a family of four in line ahead of us. Both parents were wearing Kerry buttons and the kids had Kerry stickers on their shirts. A polling place person tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to remove the Kerry button affixed to my purse. Evidently it is against the rules to display such things within a certain distance of the polls. Yet the family in front of me was not asked to remove their buttons. What's up with that? I wondered briefly what they were going to do with the big burly guy in line behind us who was wearing a Bush t-shirt. Make him turn it inside out maybe? Or maybe nothing, like was done with the family of Kerry supporters in front of us.

It sure is going to be a long day.

5 comments:

Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

I'm getting ready to drive down to the airport and vote. When the lines are long there, people get to stand under the small planes to keep out of the rain. As for the rule about no badges, etc, near the polls. . . . I'll have to say that down here in southern Indiana, they don't enforce anything like that. People who WORK the polls are studded with badges. And they are giving out free candy. I'm leaving early so I can check them both out. The airplanes, and the candy. I loves me some airport voting.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Snow in Texas? Yup hell is about to freeze over! Funny it's sunny here in PA and I thought I lived in hell. Guess I was wrong.

Eyes for Lies said...

I dread going to vote today. All the old nasty bittys run the place! I get to see all my wicked neighbors LOL. Blech!

Melodee said...

We vote by mail here, which is convenient, but kind of boring, I guess.

Lorianne said...

I think hell froze over the second the Red Sox won the World Series. As one Kerry campaign sign read: "One curse down, one to go."