February 4, 2005

Lovely Rita

We missed watching The O.C. last night, a sad event because we think it was the episode where Marissa hooked up with the hot blonde bartender chick. Ack well. (As an aside, I cannot believe how far Wendy and I have been sucked into that show. It's irresistible. We are pathetic.)

The change in our usual routine could not be avoided. Rita Mae Brown was in town promoting her newest book. So despite the wintery precipitation snarling the traffic, off we went.

Rita Mae is somewhat of an icon to lesbians in Virginia. Well. I should not purport to speak for all Virginia lesbians. Or all lesbians everywhere. Let's say I think of her as iconic. Layer her long time Virginia residency with her civil activism. Flavor with her being an open lesbian. Sprinkle on the tang of the Martina affair. Crown with an amazing plethora of wonderful characters and storylines in her delicious novels. You'd be out driving in the snow to see her, too.

In person, she did not disappoint. We expected a strong charismatic individual and that is exactly how she presented. I am pleased to say I now know there is at least one woman out there with a voice deeper than mine. And she complimented my hair. Ayup, that woman can work a crowd as well as charm an individual.

Two of her books, sporting their new personalized autographs, came home with us. Her newest Sneaky Pie mystery, the one she was there to promote, Cat's Eyewitness and the first one of her novels I ever had the pleasure of reading, Six of One. It's laugh-out-loud funny.

If you've never read her, what are you waiting for?


1 comment:

Roonie said...

Ahh, I missed that OC, too! And I was hoping for the same outcome as you! Any word on what DID happen?