February 3, 2005

Whistle While

Our old tea kettle made the rounds. It lived in three different kitchens over the span of its life and never matched any of them. It was always obviously out of place. That blue enamel kettle disappeared during our last move. I did not shed a tear. I may have even rejoiced. It never matched, after all. Plus it had a growing rust spot on the bottom. And it didn't whistle.

I think all tea kettles should whistle. The louder the better.

Wendy has since gifted me with a new tea kettle. The sleek brushed stainless steel exterior matches and blends with our current kitchen surroundings. It looks downright comfortable on our stainless steel stove. And it whistles. Loud enough for me to hear even when I'm in the office.

It's the first whistling tea kettle I've ever owned.

I don't have a great need for a tea kettle. Water can easily be boiled in any old pot on the stove or in the microwave. There's just something about a tea kettle I find charming. It's more fun (yes, I'm that simple). So when I have need of boiling water for say, hot chocolate or, moreso lately, an actual cup of tea, I revel in employing my tea kettle. I'm usually not the tea-drinking type. Except, of course, when I am.

I enjoy iced tea. Sweet tea is best. Sweet tea, to educate the Yankees among you, is tea that has had sugar added while hot, then iced. Yes, it makes a difference! I also like lemon in my tea. But not in my water.

Anyway. This new tea kettle. The sleek brushed stainless steel kettle that blends in and matches our kitchen. My new kettle whistles piercingly, spewing steam from its spout like I imagine Old Faithful does just before an eruption. It is only my imagination, however, because I've never seen Old Faithful. I'd like to go to Yellowstone Park someday to observe that faithful geyser.

As soon as I remove our screaming kettle from the burner, the noise stops. The spewing stops. It's like turning off a switch. Why does that fascinate me?

Tea has one notable superiority to coffee. Now, now don't get me wrong, I adore coffee. I could not get through a day without my coffee. But when I set down my mug, wander off and get distracted, as I habitually do, my coffee grows cold and unpalatable. Totally.

A mug of tea on the other hand, when a mug of tea is left to grow cold and later re-found, it is usually still quite tasty. Versatility is nice.


2 comments:

Udge said...

Yes, thanks for confirming my beliefs. Cold tea is more drinkable than cold coffee. Coffee has to be truthfully describable as "hot" to be palateable, whereas tea can be pleasurably consumed when lukewarm. (It shouldn't be consumed lukewarm, mind you, but it can be.)

chapin said...

I love my tea kettle as well. I boil the water to eat oatmeal 365 days a year. I live in an APT with thin walls so I know my neighbor loves the whistle at 5:10 AM. Rise and shine!!!