May 24, 2006

Lunatic Fringe?



Our alarm blared at 4:15 am yesterday. Four-freaking-fifteen, the time of day best spent in deep REM sleep. I just don't do mornings very well but can if I must. When I opened the bedroom door, The Boy was on the landing fully dressed and wide awake, laughing at my bedhead and squinty still-asleep eyes.

He had a plane to catch you see, to the opposite coast for a little mini-vacation before his summer job begins. The sun rose on my way home from dropping him at the airport.

Despite his short visit, it is always a delight to have him home. It struck me again how much he has grown in the last few years, not just physically but also in general maturity. Still, there remain plenty of signs of the kid he used to be.

Such as this photo. I didn't take it, but I adore it.

Call me crazy, but part of me is undeniably proud of having raised a man who is serious when it matters yet silly enough to pose with the waffles in the Food Lion freezer. I hope he never outgrows that side of himself.

.

10 comments:

Middle Girl said...

I know exactly what you mean. One of my favorite sounds is my boy/man laughing. I see the man, hear the 6 year old.

Eyes for Lies said...

That photo shows a very creative, humorous mind :)

I, too, love it! It's frameable. Such a conversation starter!

Gina said...

Love it!

Sam said...

Hysterical! Love the photo!

Thanks for sharing!

Deb Heller said...

Ah, he has a wonderful child-center! Thanks for sharing that photo - he seems like a real sweetheart. I can see why you're so proud.

nina michelle said...

great photo!

weese said...

i love this kid.
AND he was up and ready to go...i really love this kid

Geeky Dragon Girl said...

I never realized there was enough of a gap between the shelf and the glass to actually fit a full grown person...

whispers said...

priceless, precious and just plain fun.

AND you have it forever.....

think of the fun some day as you show it to your grandchildren.

Katie-girl said...

Oh my gosh! I love it! I need a picture like that...