September 3, 2004

All the Fields Are Filled With Fresh Boys Playing Football

For the past few weeks, as I've passed the high school three mornings a week on my way to my wonderful exciting uplifting satisfying stimulating job, the fields have been filled with fresh boys playing football. Although I'd not be referring to them as fields filled with fresh boys playing football if I hadn't been listening to the most recent Indigo Girls CD in my car. If I didn't have their song "Something Real" stuck in my head, I'd merely be saying the high schoolers have been practicing football.

It's hot around here in August. Even in the early morning. Although this year has not been as oppressive as usual. But still. Running football drills in full uniform looks exhausting. And hot. When I pass them working so hard, I turn up the air conditioning in my car.

We love football. Love love love love love love LOVE! I've always had a dream about being a football player. Even just for one play. I think I'd like to be a wide receiver making a game winning catch for a touchdown. Or maybe a defensive back with a key quarterback sack. Or how about a safety snagging an interception and running it back for a touchdown? The closest I've ever come to playing football was when The Boy and I used to play together. We'd play catch and simulate games. I would be the announcer and he would be the "star" making the key plays. Good times, good times.

Our fantasy football draft this past Saturday was an interesting experience. In previous years, our league has always just set our draft rosters and let the computer do the work. This year we decided a live in-person draft would be fun.

Some folks brought snacks to share. Snacks make everything more fun, don't they? I'm so freaking simple. MariSusan and Paul always make the coolest snacks, creations to suit the occasion. For the draft, they made rice crispy treats in the shape of footballs. Miniature footballs, of course. With laces of icing. (My favorite of all MariSusan and Paul themed snacks was at a holiday party. They brought fudge they had carefully shaped and decorated as replicas of Mr. Hanky the Christmas Poo, a character from an hilarious Southpark episode. Too. Much. Fun.)

During the season, we occasionally get together and watch the games. Food is involved in those gatherings too. And beer. And fantasy-score monitoring. And gloating. Or pouting. As the situation merits.

My team this year is named the "Marauders". I used the same name last year. But half-way through last year's season I was compelled by forces outside of my control to change my team's name. Their new name was "Couldn't Suck More". I hope the Marauders fare a bit better this season.

1 comment:

Pisces75 said...

I love love love football too! I am so excited for Next Thursday. NFL opening game... featuring my Colts. Go Blue!!! I can't wait for sundays with football, sweatshirts, pistachios and beer. 4 of my favorite things to combine.