September 5, 2005

"Are There Books, Are There Novels By Her Bed?"

The title of this post is a line from a Natalie Merchant song entitled Jealousy: "Is she bright, so well read? Are there books, are there novels by her bed?"

We have a stack of books on both sides of our bed as well as on many other surfaces scattered throughout our home. I'm not claiming to be bright or well read, but that line always makes me think of me and my girl.

While we were on vacation I finished the second book in a series I've been reading, Tales of the Otori. Not an absorbing read, but entertaining nonetheless. It is written in a rather sparse style with unique characters. Book II ends with all the signs pointing toward war. I needed to know the outcome!

When we got home, I looked for where I had put the third in the series. I even looked carefully, which is, I must admit, not my typical approach when looking for something.

Usually I begin by saying, "Hey Wen, have you seen such-and-such anywhere?"

She'll reply by saying, "Have you looked for it yet?"

Yeah, she has my number.

This time, however, I looked all on my own. I thoroughly scanned all bookshelves, I looked through the stack by the side of my bed, I checked the piles of "things" in our office. I even looked where I knew it wasn't, just in case. No Book III. Damn. Where did I put it? I picked up another book to read instead but kept a sharp eye open for the other. It had to turn up somewhere.

In my clumsiness last night, I knocked over the stack of books on my nightstand. The books slithered and slid, some crashing to the floor, others caught by my outstretched hands. And voila! The top book left on my nightstand stack was the one I'd been looking for! I could have sworn I looked carefully there before. Perhaps I should examine my definition of "careful."

Anyone else have stacks of books by their bed?
What's the last book you finished and was it worth reading?

.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Night by Elie Wiesel ... and, yes :>

Melodee said...

I do have stacks. And more stacks. (I'm stacked, what do you know?) Um, last good book I read was "Jayber Crow" by Wendell Berry. Then I read "Jewel" by Bret Lott, but "Jayber Crow" was so so so good that "Jewel" doesn't even count!

Gina said...

Oh yes, our night tables are groaning under the weight of our books. We actually had a very large double bookcase full, but then ooops, along came Mr. Personality and the bulk of them were relocated to the garage to make room for him.

The last good book I read was "Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress" by Susan Gilman.

Asher Abrams said...

Heh! Your post reminds me of the formula I always use when looking for misplaced items. I just repeat the following mantra to myself:

"It's either someplace you didn't look ... or someplace you didn't look thorougly enough."

Believe it or not, it's amazingly effective.

Glad you finally caught up with the errant volume.

whispers said...

Been known to ask before I look, sometimes it helps me think thru where I might have left it.

Books in stacks everywhere.
On the nighttables, on the dresser, stacked two rows deep in every one of the 10 or so bookcases throughout the house, stacked next to chairs and sofas. The current read (if i can find it) needs to be Daughters of a Coral Dawn (the current book club book meets in 2+ weeks)

SassyFemme said...

I don't have a stack of books by the bed, they're in a drawer in my nightstand. I hate clutter, I have to put them away. Fran doesn't mind the clutter, and has a the pile on top of her nightstand. Last good book I finished? To Have and To Hold by Peggy J. Herring. Reread it last night. Loved it. Good romance novel, fast read.

Udge said...

I have stacks of books everywhere, the stack by my bed is six books high. The last book I read was "Solange du da bist" by Marc Levy, which was apparently published under two different titles in English, "Just like heaven" and "If only it were true". A funny and touching love story, recommended.

Cin said...

Hi there! First visit here, courtesy of a link from Lorianne over at Hoarded Ordinaries.

I have (small) stacks of books everywhere, mostly because I tend to read multiple books at once. Last book I finished? Almost French: Love and Life in Paris by Sarah Turnbull. A memoir, not a novel, but definitely a good read.

Anonymous said...

I have tons of books, on the floor, on tables, beside the bed, on the floor again, in the closet. I can't get enough of them.

Right now I am reading Dress Your Family In Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris. I must admit the naked Barbie torso grabbed my attention and nothing more, but I am loving his stories. Must get more of his books!