September 1, 2005

Home Alone

What does one do when one finds oneself suddenly home alone for Labor Day weekend?

Wendy left for small town Texas today to visit her ailing dying uncle. While a trip was planned later in the month for just that purpose, circumstances dictated her immediate departure. A bummer on many levels, the least of which is that I am home alone.

Why didn't I go with her? The reasons are practical and numerous. We just got back from a vacation and my leave time is non-existent. It is also the first of the month, the busy time for my bookkeeping jobs. Cosine is failing and I am loathe to leave her. I'll not even touch on budgetary constraints.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about our parents and acceptance. Part of me feels it will be easier for Wendy's mom if I am not there. Don't get me wrong, I know her parents like me. Love me even. But her mother is very conscious of social propriety. Small town Texas is not accepting of homosexuality. She's got enough on her plate with her brother's illness without family friends and neighbors gossiping about her daughter. Does that make sense? Maybe I'm just overly sensitive, but my sensitivity is rooted in past experience.

Meanwhile our country is reeling from Katrina, the people of the Gulf Coast suffering unimaginable horrors, which piles on to the distress of what Wendy's family, my family, is enduring right now. If you've got kind thoughts and yes, even prayers, to spare, send them on down to small town Texas. They'll find the target.

.

6 comments:

whispers said...

prayers, thoughts, just plain strong glowing energy flung into the universe towards that small Texas town, and the spillage over all of the gulf coast area. this is such a devastating time nationally that its hard to focus on our personal stuff, but yet, we must. To Wendy and her mom and uncle, to you and Cosine and The Boy, Namaste.

Career Guy said...

When I'm alone, I blast the music I like on the stereo because there's no one to tell me to turn it down. Then I clean the house. Well, it's not too exciting but it's something to do while I convince myself that being alone is OK.

Prayers you got! I'm on it.

Gina said...

They are winging their way as I write...

mc said...

I don't pray, but I am sending good vibes..

Jennifer said...

I'm home alone, too, in an eerie coincidence of circumstance. Distress everywhere, and I can't seem to come out of my nationally based gloom long enough to deal with the personal fear gripping me regarding my dad's surgery next Wednesday.

I'm with John, on at least one count. Am blasting the music. My nostrils are filled with the scent of Clorox. And college football is going to be humming in the background all damn weekend long.

Gah.

If you get bored, you know where to find me. :-)

Jennifer
Open Book

Rich | Championable said...

Prayers from Westchester, NY. That's for sure. And Y, "good vibes" ARE prayers. That's the beauty of it.

I'm sorry that this country's baffling fixation on homosexuality has continued to drag you down... it's so sad and sensless.

Stay cool. Rock on.