August 31, 2004

Gotta Get Back to Something Real...

I was surprised yet pleased when The Boy said he was going to hang out with her during his week home. They had broken up during spring break after having dated for a year and a half. I liked her. I still like her. She was good for him in many ways. And I'd like to think he was good for her. But long distance relationships are hard. Harder even when you are nineteen.

They speak to each other on the phone. The Boy said she is the one friend from home he calls the most. Maintaining a connection and working on a friendship. Or something. We know how hard that can be. Emotions are messy. Distance doesn't help.

Lunch on Friday was the first time they'd seen each other since The Breakup.

She popped in to say hello to Wendy and me. Her eyes were full of pain. And anger. I could tell she'd been crying. She radiated disapproval and perhaps frustration. Nothing he could do or say would be right. She wasn't done being upset. And hurt. And mad. He squirmed, not knowing what to do or how to act. I knew there wasn't anything he could do. Except be patient and try to understand. And even that may not be enough.

He later said "I just don't know what to do now when she cries."

I said "She's not over it yet, dear."

He said "Neither am I."

My heart aches for both of them.

2 comments:

JaG said...

Awwww.... I know how that feels.

Eyes for Lies said...

Your post brings back the many break-ups. Whew...the pain... Glad I am married now :)