August 11, 2004

Wisdom Teeth

Our friend Jackie just found out she gets to have her wisdom teeth extracted. She seems a bit confused about wisdom teeth in general. I've not spent much time thinking about them myself. We had a brief conversation about them via AIM:

J: I'm so confused about wisdom teeth.
If my teeth go then my wisdom does too?
WR: No worries, young lady. You never really
had any to begin with. Wisdom, that is.
Not teeth. You've got gorgeous teeth.
I didn't have any wisdom teeth myself.
And wisdom doesn't really come with teeth.
It comes with age.
J: Well that explains it.
But why do we have them?
How did people deal with them back in the
day? What if you don't have the resources
to take them out? Why do some people not
have them? Why are mine sideways?
WR: You are thinking too much. Go ask your
mother for a chore or something.
People that have evolved more fully don't
have them at all. People that have sideways
ones are only half-way evolved. See?
It's simple.
J: lol You're funny. I think I'll keep you.

WR: What, like now I'm a pet or something?

I've sometimes wondered what it would be like to be a kept woman.

Why is it that I blatently lie and babble untruths about topics I know nothing about? This is not an isolated instance. I call it my brand of humor, but I wonder. I do so love to tease gullible folks. I can get serious when it counts though, in case you wondered. But Jackie was truly thinking about a deeper social issue when she wondered about what folks do who don't have the resources to deal with dental problems. And I just blew the question off. Because the reality is harsh and I didn't want to think about it.

Maybe I should go ask her mom for a chore to do because now I'm thinking too much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have all my wisdom teeth, not much wisdom here. One of them is sick now, I am thinking of having it removed. I will let you know if anything changes.