October 13, 2004

Cosine Itches

We haven't had cause to take the animals to the vet since the last trip with Detail back in July. Just over three months. Seems like a lot longer. (Oh we miss that sweet Fat Boy, we do.)

But Cosine is having her annual seasonal skin issues. Poor old girl. Poor flaky itchy bald old girl. So in she went. Usual response, usual cause, usual medication. Soon she'll not be flaky, itchy or bald. Wish they had as quick a cure for her lack of hearing and fading eyesight.

Last Spring when Detail and Figero each had their health issues, we were at the vet's office weekly with one or the other or both of them. We developed a rapport with the young receptionist, Lea. We'd oogle pictures of her baby and I'd lecture her on the evils of smoking cigarettes. (Yeah, I was a hypocrite but I knew what I was talking about!) In June, she shared with us that she and her husband were expecting their second child.

So today, three months later, when I walked into their office she greeted me with familiarity. I smiled and happily asked how she was doing as I peered over the counter to see her physical form. She looked mildly confused momentarily and turned about three shades of red. Then told me she had had a miscarriage in July. Oh crap. Leave it to me to ask the good questions right off the bat. My turn to turn three shades of red.

Our vet's office has two partners: M-Vet and J-Vet. I've mentioned them briefly in a past entry because J-Vet is definitely gay and the M-Vet just about has to be. I know about J-Vet because she once made a revealing comment to me about "people like us." Well, that and the fact my gaydar goes wild when I see her. They are both nice, but J-Vet seems more down to earth. Maybe it's just because she acknowledged our common sexuality. Whatever. Wendy and I both feel more comfortable with her.

But Cosine and I saw M-Vet today. As M-Vet examined her, she said "Has this lump by her throat been there long?" I gulped. I asked her to put my hand on it. I had not noticed it before. I involuntarily teared up ("Huh? WTF! Stop that, dumbass!" What is wrong with me?) as she talked her way from aspirating it to find out what it is through the reality we probably would not operate on it even if it was cancer because she's such an old girl. Took her only about 6 words and one sentence to reach that conclusion. M-Vet's not such a bad gal at all.

Cosi and I retreated to the waiting room to ... well, wait. For her medicine.

J-Vet came out to the reception area to speak to another pet parent. She tentatively smiled at me, with a hint of a question, as she voiced a greeting. Polite pleasantries yes, yet the last time I had seen her I was sobbing on her shoulder and she had just killed our dog euthanized Detail. Felt weird. Odd. Uncomfortable. Did she remember?

Didn't expect that, no I didn't. Feeling uncomfortable, that is.
Yet I still wonder. Does she remember?

1 comment:

Eyes for Lies said...

Ugh...(sigh)...painful memories. I HATE going to the vet! My sweet baby Lulu has elevated liver problems right now. We are waiting to see if supplements will bring it down. (sigh...)

It is heartwarming to see that you love your pets as much as we love ours :)