October 9, 2004

One Friday In the Life of...

Here is a list of things I did yesterday. Not everything. Just some things. It was a busy day.

  • Wrote $73,569 in checks with someone else's money. One of them was made out to me. It was for $378.


  • Decided again that one trip over the newish Springfield flyover was enough for me. Took the longer way around.


  • Spent no less than four hours on the telephone attempting to resolve an issue for a job I don't get paid to do on Fridays. The issue, as of 10:58 pm on Friday evening, was still an issue.


  • Discovered one of my favorite kitchen stores at Potomac Mills Mall no longer exists. Sobbed internally.


  • Was angrily screamed at by a total stranger and, after a bit of thoughtful reflection, realized I probably deserved it.


  • Calmly apologized for the inconvenience to the total stranger who had screamed at me before I even considered an apology may be warranted.


  • Rattled because that total stranger had been and still was angrily screaming at me, completely forgot the PIN to my debit card and was unable to complete the purchase of items I was standing in line to buy.


  • Remembered my PIN while sitting quietly on an uncomfortable bench in a loud place.


  • Replenished our household supply of laundry soap, bath soap, dryer sheets and tuna fish.


  • Left a message on The Boy's cell phone asking him to phone home.


  • Gave Cosine a bath.


  • Attended a JV field hockey game at the local high school. Paid $4 to get in. Acknowledged having to pay was a new development this year. Didn't mind.


  • While walking to the game, twisted my left ankle and went sprawling to the ground.


  • Felt terribly embarrassed laying there in the grass with a bunch of people around (not one of whom either a--saw me fall, or b--acknowledged having seen me fall).


  • Was incredibly relieved to hear my friend Tina's voice as I lay there in the grass. Was very grateful she came and sat with me until my ankle felt well enough to walk on.


  • Saw an unfortunate field hockey player get hit in the forehead with the ball. Such things are not pretty.


  • Worried about Wendy's commute home because of an accident on the American Legion Bridge which closed two of the four lanes heading to Virginia. Evidently it had been there since noon and was still there during rush hour. WTF?


  • Kissed my girlfriend hello in a shopping center parking lot.


  • Enjoyed dinner out with Wendy and Tina and her husband (okay to mention your name, dude? hahah... I called Nicho dude... lol).


  • Accepted delivery of a weekend guest. Because a house with three dogs is a happy place. Was awarded a pound of Blue Mountain Jamaican coffee as a thank you.


  • Observed an incredibly amusing face-off between Bonnie (our neighbor's dog and our weekend guest) and Figero. Figero won. Of course.


  • Watched the second presidential debate.


  • Got clawed by Figero's sharp pointy claws of agony as he assumed his position in my lap.


  • Chewed a piece of nicotine gum and drank a few beers.


  • Went to bed late.

No comments: