December 28, 2004

Baby, It's Cold Outside

My father, a retired Naval officer who is a marine salvage consultant, is unexpectedly spending the holidays in Dutch Harbor, Alaska. There is a casualty up there, a Malaysian cargo ship which ran aground and broke in two, spilling oil into the ocean. To top off that ugly situation, a Coast Guard helicopter, while attempting to rescue crew from the ship, crashed. Six of the crew members were killed.

The Anchorage Daily News has a large series of photos on their website of the situation. This photo of the remains of the helicopter and this one of the broken ship give a pretty good idea of the desolate geography and harsh weather conditions. And just because my dad is there for his brain rather than his brawn doesn't make those conditions any less miserable. Just less dangerous. I hope.

It is not unusual for my father to be called away at the spur of a moment. Marine casualties don't pay much attention to the calendar and care nothing for holidays or other important family occasions. He does love his work however, including the spontaneous departures to far away places at the drop of a hat.

He is, as we all are, getting older. I would selfishly prefer him to be at his home--warm, safe and dry. Since I have no control over that, I'll send warm wishes his way instead.

Love you, Pop. Be careful out there.

No comments: