December 8, 2004

Old News

Yet the hypocrisy is as fresh as ever.

The proclaimed slogan of The United Methodist Church is "Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors."

As a lesbian, I am welcome to be a member. I am welcome to fully participate in their religious rituals (with, of course, the exception of committing to the partner of my choice). I am welcome to tithe and donate my time in support of their organization. Yet here is another exception: As a spiritual leader? Well, hell no. She's got to go!

I am so fucking sick of double standards cloaked in acceptance and tolerance. Is it just me? Open doors, my ass.

4 comments:

LatinLez said...

It's not just you. It simply reeks of crap.

Udge said...

Funny how "acceptance" always means "you must accept us, but we may still reject you".

Funny how "tolerance" always means "you must tolerate us, but we might ridicule and denigrate you".

Funny that Jerry Falwell et al are quite acceptable as religious leaders, but Rev. Stroud isn't.

So no, it's not just you.

Unknown said...

This is why I gave up organized religion years ago. That of course and my overwhelming disdain for most other humans.

The Mad Tech said...

You go girl. That same old double standard simply does work. The church should be the first place to accept everyone. Your welcome in my church anytime, great blog.

The Mad Tech