December 23, 2004

Shopping Observation

I saw a mother with five children in tow this afternoon at Target. She was young enough that I could have been her mother. Her nose was pierced. She appeared exhausted, her clothes disheveled, her hair awry. The children were all under the age of eleven. They were flocked around the cart their mother was pushing, some hanging off of it, the littlest riding in it. I stood gawking, squeezing myself to one side of the aisle as they rattled and squawked and yelled and moaned past me. It was a veritable cacophony.

The mother's haggard eyes caught mine. She said, although I had not asked, "Yes, they are all mine." She shuffled on past, nattering at the children to stop making so much noise and settle down or Santa Claus would not be coming to visit them.

Sometimes having a grown up child is the best feeling the world.

1 comment:

Melodee said...

Hilarious! Even though I am more like the haggard mother than you!